Tuesday, October 28, 2008

MB Fashion Week- Behind the Scenes of Julia Clancey's show

I can honestly say that my first experience working with Julia Clancey, a designer who showed at LA fashion week, was a unique experience... in a Devil Wears Prada sort of way. While it was not only my idea but my pleasure to help Julia pro bono for the day of the show, she had called me in to help her every day for 2 weeks without any sort of stipend for gas, time dedicated (sometimes upward of 10 hour days that I put in), etc. I was put in charge of lists, seating charts, transportation of clothing, playing chauffeur, while on more than one occasion she would be hanging out at the beach with her parents boogie boarding! It is not that I don't have some idea how difficult the industry can be and I am fully prepared to have to work my way up to success, but this was just a harsh display of passive aggression. As a creative designer who has done "tons of shows", Julia really should have known better. The up side: meeting my charismatic mentor George who was signed on to help me as well as some other great models/interns/designers/friends etc, working the show and viewing the amazing- St. Tropez-yacht- hopping collection before its debut on the runway, and of course any learning experience is a good learning experience. I am unhappy to report that because I am a stylist and not a PR agent, and our list was simultaneously worked on by 4 people days before the show, there were several unhappy press members who were misplaced for the show (as read in The Daily). However, the show went on, and most of the audience (as is usually the case) was unaware of the conflicts that happened back stage. As for me, I enjoyed the show for what it was and will cherish the memories I made while working MB Fashion Week 2009.

No comments: